By and large, I think Generation X was pretty easy to please when it came to birthday presents. Throw some finger paints or Colorforms at us, maybe a pogo stick or skateboard, and we were content for weeks on end. But, none of this stuff will work for tweens today.
I remember the year I turned nine, my sister Becky bought me one of my first grown up gifts. It was a Josef Original number 9 doll. I was like, “Oh, wow, thank you so much,” but inside I was thinking, “What’s going on here? I can’t play with this doll. Hand over the Barbie loot.”
Lucky for me, she was one cool cat, and also bought me a Barbie doll outfit – a yellow and turquoise sailing outfit. I was happy.
I don’t know what I got for my 10th birthday, but the year I turned 11, my Auntie Phyllis bought me Donny and Marie dolls complete with purple socks. I was happy. And, the year I turned 12, my Auntie Cheri made me a doll cake. I didn’t want my friends to see it, but I loved eating the big skirt of frosting, and I was, well, happy.
Times have changed. If I gave my daughter two dolls, much less a ceramic one for her birthday, I know she’d be sweet and gracious, but I bet she’d be thinking to herself, “What’s the matter with you? Hand over the iLoot, the eLoot!
What To Get An 8 to 12 Year Old Tween For Her Birthday!
So, if you’re like me and utterly clueless about what your 8 to 12 year old wants for his or her birthday, check out the list below. It features six suggestions from a tween I consider an early adopter in her own right! I’m not saying I’m buying any of these things for her for her upcoming birthday, but I’m not saying I’m not either. I’m 41 and this Generation X overparenting thing has been going on for, well, nearly 12 years now. I think it’s too late to turn back now.
1. iPhone 3G – Internet access, games, fun downloads, phone, text, touch screen (has only one button), a camera and iPod.
2. iPod Touch – Same as iPhone 3G except it has no phone or text. It has a large iPod in it (cheaper.)
3. Apple Laptop – Apple Laptops are a good brand of laptops (they’re in style)!
4. Coolpix – Digital camera, comes in fun colors and is a good, reliable camera.
5. Sidekick – Phone that is made for fast texting with full keyboard. Comes in colors and fun cases.
6. iPod – Small flat box that holds hundreds of songs, calendar, calculator, has the time all over the world and some games.