The most difficult elements of your past
may well be those that provide you
with the strongest capabilities for today.
–Tammy Erickson, Across the Ages/Harvard Business Review
Strike it up as another stroke of courage, brilliance and conviction for Baby Boomer Tammy Erickson. The Harvard Business Review has published her must-read article Why Generation X Has the Leaders We Need Now.
“…You will have the opportunity to change the corporate template, and create organizations that are more conducive to your values. As leaders, you will be able to reshape the organizations you lead to make them better places for future generations and yourselves, make them more humane, and break the cultural norms of corporate life–long hours, a focus full-time work, heterogeneous perspectives, and language of combat…”
Generation X Leaders, Attributes
Here is a summary of other reasons she cites Generation X leaders as the leaders we need now.
- Resourceful and hardworking from the latchkey years
- Strong Survival Skills developed from the layoffs of the 80s
- Ability to look outward and operate well in the global and digital world
- Awareness of global issues; more unconscious acceptance of diversity
- Preference for alteranative
- Skepticism and ability to isolate practical truths have resulted in rich humor and incisive perspective.
- Good Parents — Fiercely dedicated to being good parents, prompting you to raise important questions about the way we all balance work with commitments beyond the corporation.