Greenberg: a film about confronting failures and turning 40

People don’t call on my birthday anymore.
Roger Greenberg, Greenberg

From what I can tell, Greenberg, which will be released in Germany on April 1, is about a Gen Xer who turns 40 and begins to confront his failures. He moves from New York to L.A. and spends time doing nothing only to get the life he always wanted, but never planned for. Greenberg stars Reality Bites star Ben Stiller.

The movie, directed by Noah Baumbach (b. 1969), has been called the quintessential Los Angeles film. I obvioulsy haven’t seen it yet, but it sounds like the quintessential Gen-X-male-turns-40-and-feels-like-a-failure movie.  I can think of about 15 guys I know that will probably say they have a dentist appointment so they can catch the Monday matinee of this flick at Oklahoma City’s Windsor Hills Plaza. That theater is still there, isn’t it?

I’ve never been a big Stiller fan, but I think I’ll like this movie. Check out the trailer and this review on Weekender. What do you think?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

1. says

@JENNIFER K – I read a facebook comment from the Gen X examiner – that Hot Tub was pretty bad. What did you think!?!

2. says

@Junkdrawer67 – I turned 40 two months after giving birth to the Super Bridgy, so it was so uneventful. My 40s have definitely been my best decade so far. I’m looking forward to every year, but not SIGH 50!!! Thankfully, we’ve got several years to go. Ha!

3. says

I will see it because Jennifer Jason Leigh is attached.

I’m not the hugest of Ben Stiller fans, but I like the fact that he was in Reality Bites, and even though he’s not playing the same character, I’ll tend to view it like he is…but 15 years later.

4. Anonymous says

I watched the trailer, but really couldn’t relate. I have a scholastic/hot wife, beautiful kids and an aspiring career. Rob

5. says

This movie is showing at the theater up the road for me. But I don’t know if I can handle the angst. I am going to see “Hot Tub Time Machine” this Sunday, though.

6. says

Even if Gen X isn’t ready for it’s mid-life crisis it’s coming regardless.

Mine kind of sneaked up on me. But I’m in it now.

And as such (42 year old, mid-life-crisis GenXere) I’ll be going to see this movie, perhaps even tonight.

7. says

Gen X is ready for it’s midlife crisis. Thanks for the heads up. I’m sure I will find a lot to relate to in this film. Have a great weekend Jen!